Understanding your Self-Worth
July 27, 2022
Learning to value yourself is a process. It’s not something that you can just do overnight. It takes time, patience, and dedication. But the rewards of doing so are worth it. Self-worth is the quality of being worthy of esteem or respect from oneself or others. People with a healthy sense of self-worth are confident in their abilities and know they deserve happiness and success. They believe they’re worthy of love, respect, and admiration from other people.
In this episode, Jeff Brekken joins us. Jeff is the CEO and President of Iconic HR and Blue Sky Benefits and has a diverse history, including working on the family farm as a teenager. When he realized his manual labor was worth something, he talked with his dad about it. When his dad asked what he thought he was worth, Jeff had an answer: $1.00 per hour. Since then, he’s learned his value and helped others figure out theirs.
After completing 109 custom homes in eight and half years, the 2008 recession was difficult, and he felt he needed a job that wasn’t affected by recessions like many other jobs are. He found insurance as an industry that has never been fully depreciated and has been providing security to his clients ever since
[00:01] Episode intro and a quick bio of the guest; Jeff Brekken
[01:40] A bit about Jeff’s backstory and what he does in his space
[04:39] Cutting every negative person in his life and the impact it has created
[07:06] How is Jeff not afraid to speak in front of people?
[08:58] Tips he shares to overcome to overcome the fear of public speaking
[14:50] Ways to get paid through public speaking
[17:53] The big events he really enjoys
[19:40] Jeff’s motivation to start a podcast and its impact on his life
[23:05] Plans he has with the podcast
[25:29] Better ways to empower your business HR
[29:06] How established businesses can start a fresh culture
[29:54] Tactics you can do to hold people accountable in the business
[39:38] Tips Jeff shares about how he goes about recruiting the right people
[43:48] The only message he would share forever
[48:24] Episode wrap-up
- When you are positive and surround yourself with positivity, any negativity is repelled. – Jeff Brekken.
- As long as you have a genuine message that impacts someone’s life, that should negate your fear of public speaking – Jeff Brekken.
- If you don’t live a life of passion and servitude, it will be challenging to succeed. – Jeff Brekken.
- Changing a company’s culture is tough when people are glued to the old culture. You have to get everybody on the same page. When that happens, you’ll start to grow. – Jeff Brekken.
- No business can ever grow with zero accountability. – Jeff Brekken.
- Your worth is more than just a dollar amount. – Philip Sessions.
- You are the average of the people you hang around with.- Jeff Brekken.