How To Cultivate The Right Mindset For Sales Success
August 3, 2022
In this episode, we’re joined by Joe Graham, a sales coach and host of the 150K podcast. He has been in sales for over 15 years but transitioned into the sales coaching space over the last few years.
Joe grew up in the Midwest where you are expected to get a job and work in it forever. Just like most of us, Joe had no clue about how to navigate sales when he was starting his journey. He was afraid and nervous, especially in public speaking, which could have deterred his success.
What is intriguing and inspiring about Joe is how he worked his way up to build his confidence and become an outstanding salesperson. He started by looking for people who were better and further in what he was doing and mimicked them. Joe also leveraged different podcasts to level up, and through trial and error, he was able to make it to the top.
[00:01] Introduction to the show
[00:34] Joe’s journey and career background
[01:49] Why Joe transitioned from sales to coaching
[03:06] How to handle rejection and shift your mindset around NOs in sales
[04:17] Mistakes salespeople make when presenting their products
[04:40] The importance of storytelling application in sales
[05:47] How Joe overcame the fear of public speaking
[10:49] Tips on how to pivot back when you go off in sales presentations
[12:31] One-on-one Vs. on-stage sales presentation
[14:35] How Joe is able to talk with the CEO without feeling intimidated
[19:50] How distinguishing yourself from the crowd moves you up
[24:33] Tips on how to create stories that match your audiences
[30:37] Shifting your sales mindset from money to service focused
[36:33] How to balance helping and giving people your product to create value
[36:33] The one message Joe would speak for the rest of his life and why
[37:51] How to reach out, connect or learn more about Joe
- You are the secret source to your business, so if you don’t level up, that’s going to be a big opening for a deficiency mindset– Joe Graham.
- Mindset is everything when it comes to sales; you’re going to be told no a lot of times than yes, and you’ve to switch your brain to see NO as the Next Opportunity – Phillip Sessions.
- No might not be No forever; it just might mean No for now because your product or service might not be right for them, or they are not mentally ready to do it. – Joe Graham
- A lot of time, first-time salespeople present their products instead of listening to what the client and customers need. – Joe Graham
- In sales, listen more; if you’re on stage, know your audience and keep it simple so that you can lead them and they can hear the story behind the words- Joe Graham.
- Even if you make a mistake, as long as you keep going, it is okay and the more you do it, the better you get at it- Joe Graham.
- The greatest public speakers don’t follow a perfect course; they follow how their audience respond and how they can connect with them. Joe Graham
- Sales is problem-solving, and it is helping someone, and once you turn it into serving and helping people be seen and heard, there is no better salesperson than you- Doug Mitchell.
- People buy the stories behind products, so paint the picture of where they can see themselves at in whatever you’re trying to get them invested in. Joe Graham